Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Greatest (day I've ever known)

Roomalina's cell phone has this ring...I couldn't place it at first because I'm still of the mindset that a phone should ring like a phone. So when a phone sounds like a Smashing Pumpkins song, it takes me awhile to place it.

Today may have been the greatest day. It's the best one I've had in awhile. It all started out as a normal day. After having gay coffee time with Roomalina after forcing her to turn off the Christmas Music so that I could watch Robyn and Company and VH1, I hobbled off to work in my boot. I have been getting myself into work for a few days now, having graduated from crutches to cane to my own sense of balance. I can't walk too much on it yet, but I can get from one form of transportation to another, from subway to bus.

I worked during the morning, getting much accomplished in a short amount of time. Work has been busy for me lately. Being back in the office has been good, as my couch isn't prone to being a good influence for anything other than watching daytime reruns of Dawson's Creek followed by a 4 hour marathon of That '70's Show. I've been developing my own workplan and rediscovering why it is I love what it is I do all over again. After the last 7 drought-filled months, this revelation couldn't have been more timely. The fact that work has been one of the only things that has gotten me out of the house since returning from Canada with a broken ankle has also helped.

Mixed in my morning dose of email was a message from a certain someone. I was being missed. And it made me miss him too. It was nice being missed like that. I had forgotten about it. The reminder was sweet and thought provoking. A nice surprise.

After a lunch of homemade pumpkin soup paired with some delicious homemade pumpkin bread (I spent the weekend cooking the last of the farm share for the season) I made my way to my doctor's appointment. Granted, there has been much buildup for this day already, which surely plays into the fact that this is my Smashing Pumpkins' day. Today was the day that my boot was scheduled to come off. Permanently. As I hobbled down the streets of Boston for the last time in that fucking boot, I became aware of all the canes, and crutches, and limps, and even boots that had surrounded me in the last few weeks. Sure, most of the time I felt isolated and ugly. A freak walking, or coming as close to it as I could to it, around in public. But there is an amazing amount of people who have broken their feet, ankles and legs in Boston. It probably has something to do with all the potholes. I arrived at the doctor. Got x-rayed again. Checked out ok. And traded my big ugly boot for a much smaller splint that fits inside a regular shoe. No more boot!

I decided to reward myself by endulging in a liquid libation at one of my favorite watering holes. Bukowski's. After sharing a mug of the appropriately titled 'Celebration Ale' in number 151 with William Faulkner and Red, one of my favorite bartenders, I made my way to the #39 bus. The #39 is both a blessing and a curse. Tonight it was definitely both of those things. But it got me to the polls, my next and final destination, and so it served its purpose.

I limped to the polls, and voted. This was my first local election, other than the tag alongs with the Presidential Election, that I'd ever voted in. I got involved in politics at more of a global level. I believe in the trickle down theory, but it has just taken awhile to get me to the local level. I must admit, I have been inspired by a certain Montanan to be more locally focused lately. He's right. I got kind of emotional about it actually. The little old ladies who volunteer their time to check off my name and hand me my form. The young enthusiastic democrats holding signs outside and asking for signatures to get our troops out of Iraq. The volunteer mom who comes by with a carton of Dunkin' Donuts coffee and a box of munchkins to keep everyone warm. It was a day of community in my neighborhood. And it felt great.

Looking back on it, it's not that remarkable of a day. But it was a pretty great day. I guess I'm getting old. Little things amuse me. I find meaning in smaller things now, like dried cranberries and hoses and stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Burden said...

"I was being missed. And it made me miss him too... The reminder was sweet and thought provoking. A nice surprise."

Howard and Montana, sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes... eh, stick with love.

November 09, 2005 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home